Hi, I’m Veiled, Founder & Admin of WCP. I’ve played Priest since Vanilla and started raiding as Shadow in The Burning Crusade. I’ve previously raided at a very high level and played Shadow through every tier. Currently, my main focus is the administration of this website and our Discord server, while also continuing to play Shadow casually.
This is a condensed shadow guide meant to offer a quick way to start learning your spec. To view the full shadow guide, you can start here. Please note that this is just a place to start and not meant to offer full guidance.
- FotM (until you replace Tier 21 2-piece, then SW:V)
- DV or Misery (personal preference)
- Personal Preference
War Mode (recommended for xp boost):
- Void Origins is a must have. Other ones are personal preference.
- Hallucinations is good synergy with Body and Soul
- Psyfiend is strong against elites, rares, and strong mobs.
- Pure Shadow gives extra survivability.
- Psychic Link helps when you are at a point you can double-dot enemies (so it would be better with Misery).
- Driven to Madness gives some free insanity.
Stat Priority & Gear
For BFA, the stat priority is currently:
Intellect > Haste/Crit > Mastery > Versatility
- Avoid Mastery and Versatility when you can.
- Choose Crit/Haste pieces.
- Choose higher ilvl.
Green – The best, default talent.
Blue – Has merit, but used in specific cases.
Red – Do not take this talent.
For an in-depth explanation of talents, read more here.
There are two priority lists for our rotation due to Void Form.
Rotation Tips & Info
- Spell priority, in general, should be Void Bolt > Mind Blast > Mind Flay.
- If a mob lives for more than 5 seconds, use Shadow Word: Pain.
- If a mob lives for more than 7 seconds, use Vampiric Touch.
- Use Void Bolt on cooldown.
Mind Sear replaces single target spells at these numbers of targets:
- At 3 targets, replace Mind Flay
- At 5 targets replace Mind Blast
- At 6 targets replace Shadow Word: Void
The best way to use Dark Ascension is on cooldown. DA gives you a strong aoe burst, so hold it for the right moment if you need that burst.
All racials are within a 1% difference of each other. It’s useful to look at racial abilities (i.e. Arcane Torrent, Darkflight, etc). Otherwise, play whatever race you like.
- Potion: Potion of Rising Death
- Flask: Flask of Endless Fathoms
- Rune: Battle-Scarred Augment Rune
- Food: Bountiful Captain’s Feast or Swamp Fish ‘n Chips
- Gem: Quick Owlseye and Kraken’s Eye of Intellect
- Ring: Pact of Haste
Credit & Thanks
Huge thanks to the Warcraft Priests shadow theorycrafting team and Melgane, who wrote the full shadow guide. Also, thank you to SemicolonDash for his guidance and input.
Changelogclick to show
- Aug 13, 2018 – Updated for BFA release.
- Aug 1, 2018 – Guide published and made public.