This Holy Priest playstyle guide has been updated for the Shadowlands Prepatch and is updated as new information is discovered.
The Holy Priest basic rotation boils down to taking advantage of our Holy Word passive so that we can make use of as many Holy Word spells as possible.
This is made easy by the fact that our single target heals like Heal and Flash Heal reduce the cooldown of our single target Holy Word spell, Holy Word: Serenity. And our AoE spell, Prayer of Healing reduces the cooldown of our AoE Holy Word spell, Holy Word: Sanctify.
This means that we don’t have to make too many difficult decisions when it comes to what kind of spells we should be using. Either you need more Single Target, or you need more AoE. Simple.
- Cast your Holy Words as often as possible, not worrying too much about overheal, as some is acceptable. Holding them for a short period to get more out of them is perfectly normal.
- During single target damage/spot healing situations, cast Flash Heal. This is going to be most of your rotation.
- Circle of Healing if some of the group is damaged.
- During group wide damage situations where triage is not required, cast Prayer of Healing.
- For light damage fill with Smite. For heavier damage, include Holy Fire on cooldown, and make sure to DoT everyone up with Shadow Word: Pain. Shadow Word: Death can be used for mobs in execution range.
- Holy Nova can be used when pulling large trash packs and no healing is required.
- Cast Prayer of Mending on CD.
- Cast your Holy Words as often as possible, not worrying too much about overheal, as some is acceptable. Holding them for a short period to get more out of them is also perfectly normal.
- If 4 or more people are injured, cast Circle of Healing.
- During raid wide damage situations cast Prayer of Healing.
- During single target damage/spot healing situations, cast Flash Heal.
- For light damage fill with Heal. This usually happens at the start of encounters when only a tank is taking some damage or during downtime on encounters. If Binding Heal is talented, it will replace Heal in the vast majority of situations and when you are also injured.
- When moving, if you have no instant casts then cast Renew if players need the healing. If no-one needs healing it is also perfectly fine to let your mana rest while moving.
- For little or no damage phases cast Smite until you need to heal again.
Changelogclick to show
- 11 Oct 2020 - Updated author to Shelanne, no real playstyle adjustments made.
- 01 Oct 2019 - Updated to 8.2.5
- 24 Jun 2019 - Updated to 8.2
- 11 Dec 2018 - Updated to 8.1
- 22 Aug 2018 - Removed references to tier bonuses
- 2 Aug 2018 - Changelog added
- 31 Jul 2018 - Published