This Holy Priest gearing guide has been updated for Patch 8.0.1 and is updated as new information is discovered.
DISCLAIMER: We are healers first and foremost, and are very flexible when it comes to secondary stats. If you’re looking to improve poor throughput, changing your stats isn’t the solution. If you aren’t casting the right spells, having a wonky balance or a more ideal one won’t help you. Your effort will be better spent analyzing logs, learning the class, damage patterns, movement patterns, etc. Additionally, stats scale with each other, the more you have of all stats, the better they all scale.
That said, it important to note that no stat is “bad” for us, they are all good. The more of a single stat we stack, the less value it has relative to the stat we have the least of. However, generally, mastery is more valuable in raids where we need to be as efficient with our mana as we can be, while mastery is less valuable in m+ which has a higher burst requirement meaning Echo of Light doesn’t have time to tick for full effect.
A general raid balance is haste to taste, we don’t want to be casting spells as slow as a glacier, but we can oom easily if we run too much and don’t keep a close eye on our mana consumption. Mastery and crit are generally equal, with a little vers on the side. For running dungeons, mastery can be dropped some to pick up more crit and haste for increasing our burst capability. Vers is also really good in dungeons for its damage reduction component.
Even more important than secondary stats, is Intellect. It is by far our most impactful stat, and we gain int at a higher rate than secondaries as ilvl increases, so when equipping armor items it is almost always item level > stats. After your armor is selected (including tier when needed), use rings, neck, enchants and gems to balance out your secondaries.What each stat does
Critical Strike – Gives the chance for our healing spells to do double their original amount. A particularly interesting interaction is that when a crit occurs, the following Echo of Light on that target will also be twice as strong. So this stat double-dips ever so slightly.
Note: Heal over time effects scale linearly meaning Renew does not have any breakpoints. This means that instead of an extra tick being all or nothing with traditional breakpoints, a partial tick is created with a magnitude based on how close to the next full tick the duration is.
Versatility – This stat has a direct impact on all your healing done, and should absolutely not be ignored. Even if you don’t take into consideration the damage reduction that versatility gives, always having some is also great for your throughput.
Mastery – This stat directly buffs our Echo of Light passive.
When a direct healing spell is cast on a party member, Echo applies a six-second heal over time on them that heals for a percent of the cast spell. If another direct heal is cast on the same person, the Echo will stack with the previous one extending the hot to eight seconds and splitting the heal into three ticks instead of two. Echo will not overwrite itself, but keep adding to the remaining portion.
For example, with 30% mastery, and casting a 10,000 healing effect, the Echo of Light would then heal the target for 3,000 over the next 6 seconds. More specifically, it would be two ticks three seconds apart of 1,500.
Follow the above stat guidelines for which food to eat. The feast is always a safe choice.
Crit – Honey-Glazed Haunches
Haste – Swamp Fish ‘n Chips
Mastery – Sailor’s Pie
Versatility – Spiced Snapper
Follow the above stat guidelines for jewel socketing.
Crit – Deadly Amberblaze
Haste – Quick Owlseye
Mastery – Masterful Tidal Amethyst
Vers – Versatile Royal Quartz
For dungeons, Coastal Surge will still pull its weight, but will not contribute to dps nor survivability if those become bigger issues. Deadly Navigation (crit), Quick Navigation (haste) will contribute to both healing and damage in dungeons, and Versatile Navigation will contribute to healing, dps, and a little survivability.
Follow the above stat guidelines for jewel socketing.
Crit – Pact of Critical Site
Haste – Pact of Haste
Mastery – Pact of Mastery
Versatility – Pact of Versatility
Depending on the situation/mechanics of the raid boss, an Intellect Flask should always be active, two seconds before pull prepot with an int potion (also helps with dps since healing is typically lighter at the beginning), and follow up at some point in the encounter with either an instant or channeled mana potion for maximum mana.
Int Flask – Flask of Endless Fathoms
Int Potion – Battle Potion of Intellect
Instant Mana – Coastal Mana Potion
Channeled Mana – Potion of Replenishment
Trinkets are an exception to the item level > stats rule. The level can matter sometimes, but some trinkets offer such a unique effect they fit a situation so well that it is worth it to equip it no matter what. The analysis is ongoing, and changes will likely happen prior to raid release. Currently, the trinkets available are as follows (unranked):
- Azurethos’ Singed Plumage – Azurethos
- Doom’s Hatred – The Lion’s Roar (Horde only)
- Drust-Runed Icicle – Hailstone Construct
- Lion’s Grace – Doom’s Howl (Alliance only)
- T’zane’s Barkspines – T’zane
- Balefire Branch – Soulbound Goliath, Waycrest Manor
- Conch of Dark Whispers – Vol’zith the Whisperer, Shrine of the Storm
- Fangs of Intertwined Essence – Avatar of Sethraliss, Temple of Sethraliss
- Ignition Mage’s Fuze – Knight Captain Valyri, Tol Dagor
- Lady Waycrest’s Music Box – Lord and Lady Waycrest, Waycrest Mannor
- Revitalizing Voodoo Totem – Vol’kaal, Atal’Dazar
- Darkmoon Deck: Tides – Inscription
Keep your azerite gear as you collect it, the analysis is ongoing and changes are likely expected prior to raid release.
Outer Ring, rough order:
- Champion of Azeroth – Spells and abilities have a chance to increase all secondary stats for 1 min, refreshing if another proc occurs.
- Blightborne Infusion – Spells have a chance to increase critical strike for 14 seconds.
- Swirling Sands– Spells have a chance to increase Crit for 12 seconds, extending up to 18 seconds for critical casts.
- Last Gift / Retaliatory Fury – Spells and abilities have a chance to increase mastery and provides an absorb. This is a pvp trait.
- Word of Mending – Prayer of Mending heals for additional health and reduces Holy Word: Sanctify by two seconds each cast.
- Relational Normalization Gizmo – Only obtainable on the crafted engineering item AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles that cannot be upgraded past 340 ilvl. Spells have a chance to grant increased primary stat and health, or increased haste and movement speed for 10 seconds.
- Archive of the Titans – Gives a small stacking primary buff every 5 seconds, maxing at 20 stacks and decays out of combat. Also enables Reorigination Array in Uldir which provides increased secondaries.
- Ricocheting Inflatable Pyrosaw – Only obtainable on the crafted engineering item AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles that cannot be upgraded past 340 ilvl. Spells have a chance to damage 4 enemies or heal 4 allies.
- Tradewinds – Spells have a chance to increase mastery for 15 seconds. Upon expiring, this buff moves to an ally and increases their mastery for 8 seconds.
- Anduin’s Dedication / Sylvanas’ Resolve – Spells have a chance at increasing primary stat for 10 seconds, guaranteed when an ally dies nearby. This is a pvp trait.
- Laser Matrix – Spells have a chance to unleash lasers which deal damage and heal allies, splitting among those injured.
- Unstable Catalyst – Spells have a chance to create a zone around you, increasing primary stat when stood in.
- Glory in Battle / Liberator’s Might – Spells have a chance to increase crit and haste for 10 seconds. This is a pvp trait. Attacking a member of the opposite faction significantly increases this chance.
- Incite the Pack – Occasionally increases mastery, and that of up to two nearby allies for 20 seconds.
- Secrets of the Deep – Spells have a chance to spawn a Surging Droplet nearby, collecting it will increase primary stat for 18 seconds. Rarely a Void Droplet will be created that provides double the stat increase if collected.
- Meticulous Scheming – Spells have a chance to gain an 8 buff that will transform after 3 successful casts. This new buff will grant increased haste for 20 seconds.
- Blood Rite – Spells have a chance to increase haste for 15 seconds, refreshing duration if an enemy is killed.
- Prayerful Litany – Prayer of Healing restores additional health to the most injured ally it affects.
- Everlasting Light – Heal restores more health based on our missing mana.
- Permeating Glow – Flash Heal increases the healing of the next Flash Heal on the same target.
- Sacred Flame – Holy Fire restores mana each time it deals damage.
- Stronger Together / Combined Might – Spells have a chance at increasing a stat for you and 4 allies. This is a pvp trait.
- Blessed Sanctuary – Echo of light from Holy Word: Sanctify heals for more.
- Sanctum – Fade provides a magic damage absorb for 10 seconds when cast.
Middle Ring, rough order:
- Blessed Portents – Spells have a chance to apply a buff to allies, healing them when dropping below 50% health.
- Blood Siphon – Passive increase to mastery and leech.
- Earthlink – Passive buff that increases the primary stat, cycling from a minimum to a maximum value every 6 seconds.
- Synergistic Growth – Casting Prayer of Healing increases mastery for 10 seconds.
- Ephemeral Recovery – Healing spells restore a small amount of mana over 8 seconds, stacking up to 2 times.
- Bracing Chill – Heals have a chance to give the target a Bracing Chill buff that will heal them and move to another ally, up to 6 times.
- On My Way – Passive increase to versatility and movement speed.
- Woundbinder – Healing effects have a chance to increase haste for 6 seconds. Haste will be increased based on the target’s missing health.
- Savior – Heals have a chance to apply an additional heal on targets below 35% health.
- Concentrated Mending – Healing effects have a chance to grant the target a 12-second heal over time effect. The magnitude of the heal doubles every 2 seconds.
- Overwhelming Power – Damaging spells have a chance to grant increased haste, decreasing over time or when damage is taken.
- Elemental Whirl – Damaging spells have a chance to grant an increased secondary stat for 10 seconds.
- Unstable Flames – Damaging spells have a chance to grant increased crit, stacking up to 5 times.
Inner Ring, rough order:
- Impassive Visage – When taking damage, heals for a small amount. Cannot occur more than once every 6 seconds.
- Personal Absorb-o-tron – Only obtainable on the crafted engineering item AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles that cannot be upgraded past 340 ilvl. Taking damage has a chance to gain a large absorb shield for with a 1-minute duration.
- Resounding Protection – Provides an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- Auto-Self-Cauterizer – Only obtainable on the crafted engineering item AZ3-R1-T3 Gearspun Goggles that cannot be upgraded past 340 ilvl. Taking damage has a chance to heal and remove most bleed effects. Also reduces nearby enemy movement speed 5 seconds.
- Sanctum – Provides a magic absorb when Fade is cast.
- Self Reliance – Provides a heal over time effect while no enemies are within 3 yards.
- Twist Magic – When a magic effect is removed from an enemy via Dispel Magic, heal yourself and 4 nearby injured allies.
- Longstrider – Increases movement speed based on your highest secondary stat.
- Bulwark of the Masses – Provides an absorb shield when surrounded by 4 or more enemies. Cannot occur more than once every 15 seconds.
- Azerite Fortification – Provides a heal when stunned, immobilized, or knocked back.
- Vampiric Speed – Provides a heal and a speed boost whenever an enemy you have damaged dies.
Changelogclick to show
- 8 Nov 2018 – Updated trait descriptions
- 17 Oct 2018 – Added PVP azerite traits
- 2 Sept 2018 – Updated enchants
- 30 Aug 2018 – Roughly ordered azerite traits
- 13 Aug 2018 – Added trinkets and sources, and general azerite traits
- 2 Aug 2018 – Changelog added
- 31 Jul 2018 – Published